Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Marketing Tip: Smile!

I was walking in town today with my husband and saw a woman walking along pushing a dolly. What grabbed my attention was her fantastic SMILE! It was so happy, sincere and infectious that I burst into a smile myself. I turned to my husband and asked, “Did you see that woman’s smile?" His response, "How could I not?" This propelled us into a conversation about smiles and really has me thinking about the impact genuine smiles have on me and others.

I recall when we lived in Italy for 6 months, I used to market (for groceries) at this one butcher’s shop where all the employees smiled as if you were their favorite customer. They would engage in conversation and share the best way to prepare things. I also would buy my fresh pasta and cheeses from another purveyor who would smile and burst with enthusiasm while serving each customer. No matter how deep the line of customers was she was not flustered. She’d smile, chat and even give out recipes and cooking instructions for the pasta. These people obviously enjoy their work which makes them a real pleasure to buy from.

SMILES are the little things in your marketing effort that can make a big difference in the success of your business. You probably won't see it in many marketing books, but a simple, sincere smile is one of the most important and powerful marketing tools you and your employees possess. Whether you see customers face-to-face or work with them via phone or internet, a smile shows (or projects) you care, are interested and enthusiastic. A smile strengthens the bond with your customers and increases their confidence in you. Hence, they are much more apt to buy from you and return again.

If you or your employees are not smiling enough, why not? What message is being sent? What can you do to increase the smiles in your work place? It doesn't have to be costly to increase employee satisfaction, and it will increase productivity and sales. Smiling is a no-cost, high impact, marketing essential. Smiling is the original viral marketing medium. Commit to implementing a few smile increasing initiatives today. Think about what can you do today... right now! Find something to smile about and pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment